Sunday, February 3, 2013

Recovery Boots

    

Over the past couple of years I have bought a lot of different devices that have helped me recover faster, get rid of an injury and run faster, or at least that is what I thought when I was purchasing the item. I am sure it has happened to many of us where we have bought something and were disappointed with the results.  

In the five years I have been running I have been injured a few times and when I am desperate and want to get back running is when I sometimes get reeled into buying these items.  That’s why I would like to share with you an item I came across when I was injured with shin splints.

In fall of 2011 my goal was to run the Olympic Marathon Trials qualifying time (2:46). However, shin splints were going to keep me from competing in my goal race! I had been running more training miles on tired legs and my running form broke down causing the injury.  I was very upset, to say the least. After completing all of my training and with only one month to go, I knew I had to find a solution.

Being an older athlete I knew that my recovery generally takes a little longer. I had done the ice baths many times but I needed more. So, I searched the Internet for ways to recover faster.
     
In my frenzied search, I came across a YouTube video showing a triathlete doing a “brick” workout and in between he would get into a pair of thigh-high compression boots to speed his body’s normal recovery process. I have learned that if you want to know about the latest and greatest on recovery and nutrition look to the triathlon world.
     
After doing my investigation I found out the boots were made by NormaTech. The company’s website showed many athletes that were promoters of the product. It was also very interesting to read the science and technology of how the boots worked. 
     
I decided to go for it and order the boots. I knew that if I did not like the product I would be able to return it so that helped justify my purchase. Like a child at Christmastime, I was so excited when they arrived.

It’s hard to explain how bizarre I looked in my new compression boots.  Of course, my kids thought they looked funny but I did not care as long as they worked.
     
I started out at level 4 out of 10 for compression for about 30min. I felt the boots inflate a chamber at a time with 5 total chambers. It did not hurt but I could feel it squeeze my legs and the pulse of my blood moving through. After a few weeks and running a few harder workouts I knew they really made a difference. My legs felt fresh and the inflammation disappeared. I noticed it the most after the race when I spent every day in them for a week! 
     
In this instance, I feel my purchase was worth the price. With all the bills from doctors, PT and MRIs I had racked up previously, it makes the boots look like a bargain. This is one purchase I continue to use on a regular basis.

To find out more about the Normatech Recovery products here is the link for you to do your own investigation:  
http://www.normatecrecovery.com/science.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment